Re: Capacitor in series or parallel?

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 9/9/05 12:01:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Dear Sirs,

If you put the spark gap across the HV transformer, and series the
capacitors with the primary, can you also series more capacitors at the
other leg of the primary? Or do all the capacitors need to be in one single
lump? Due to this thread I have tried the spark gap in parallel with the HV
transformer, and in parallel with the capacitors, but I can't see any
visible difference. Is it true that the NST is always wearing out when it
spark gaps? I fully understand that entropy will eventually kill everything,
but should I consider NTSs consumable items, or can they last for a long
time?

P.S. I am really sorry that I zapped myself with the MOT Dr. Resonance! I
don't want to hurt anyone else, or myself, or the integrity of this list in
any way.

Sincerely,

Miles

Hi Miles,

Extensive trial and error by many on the list indicates that the gap across the transformer means a significantly longer life expectancy for NSTs.

Matt D.