Secondary Output Current

Original poster: "Chris Fanjoy" <zappyman@xxxxxxxxxxx>

What determines the current output of a VTTC secondary, anyway? The reason I ask is becaused I discovered something last night while working on my coil. I was finally starting to get some decent output, but the secondary started arcing to the grid feedback winding. So I moved the grid winding down the form, closer to the primary winding. It seemed to solve the arcing problem, but I noticed something quite remarkable; the output sparks were now very thick and hot - similar to that of an oil burner transformer. Output current, by my guess, would be around 20mA if not more - no doubt very deadly to come in contact with!
So does the spacing between the primary and grid windings, have something to do with the current output? A thinner arc would be preferable for looks, and no doubt somewhat safer to be working with.
Thanks for any advice.