Re: Ground wave transmission, was G-line

"This is not quite the same as Robert's setup where he drove stakes
into the ground and passed the RF current through the ground itself.
These antenna systems used a 1/2 wave wire dipole buried in the
ground and presumably excited waves in the ground through induction.
But I reckon the effect would be pretty much identical.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how you can develop waves in the
ground alone. These underground antennas were tested by talking to
other hams who were using normal above-ground antennas. My reading of
the situation is that the ground-air interface "leaks" so that you
produce waves both in the air and the ground, no matter whether you
use a buried antenna or an elevated one. But that is just my opinion
and up for debate."

	An "underground antenna" will work provided the ground conductivity
isn't too high.  In the old days people did a lot of work (or at least
wrote a lot of articles) on the merits of underground antennas for nose
rejection but I suspect the observations were erroneous and that the
signal to external noise ratio was at best the same as an above ground
antenna, and probably worse.

Ed