Re: 8 kHz Tesla Coil

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 17 Sep 2005, at 14:51, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <vardin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi,
>
> At 01:00 PM 9/17/2005, you wrote:
> >,,,,,,,,,
> >
> >Mike"
> >
> >         Did you see the correction?  It ONLY takes about 10k turns,
> > not 100k.
> >Ten times easier and onlyi 1/10 of the number of wire breaks.  I
> >actually wound a coil on a 1" form using #40 once.  Forget the
> >details now or why I did it.  By holding the form in my hand, feeding
> >the wire over the end of the spool, and being very very very careful
> >I actually got almost an inch of winding without breaking or obvious
> >overlaps. Took a long time. Whole proposition is silly, of course.
> >After looking at this take a look at what the "home receiver" coils
> >would have looked like for Tesla's World Power Scheme if it had
> >operated at 8 kHz, let alone the 7 Hz some people imagine.
> >
> >Ed
>
> I think #40 wire is only rated for 6mA.  I wonder if a coil made with
> it would just burn the wire right out...  Secondary coils do need to
> handle "some" current.
>
> Cheers,
>
>          Terry

I wouldn't run it CW if I wanted it to last ;)  FWIW I have a large
spool (don't ask how large - it's pretty big) of enamelled Al wire
and a 12" dia PVC pipe about 5' or so long. Sometime when I get
motivated I might just sacrifice the wire and see what kind of a coil
I end up with. Calculations apart from the TPI aren't currently
possible as I have no idea exactly how much wire is on the spool
(except that it is a *lot* and I've wound plenty of resonators and
transformers).

Malcolm