Re: New DRSSTC...new question

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Hmm, i hate to say it, but both of those capacitors seem rather small in my experience. My smallest coils use .075uF, for 18" and 36" sparks (they operated at 350khz and 200khz respectively). My medium coil uses a rather large 450nF (yes, .45uF) for 6 foot sparks at about 56khz. My largest machine uses .36uF (soon to be increased to .45uF or .56uF) and runs around 42khz.

Designing a DRSSTC is different than a spark gap coil. We need to operate at very low frequencies (because of IGBT limitations). This usually means that we use a much bigger tank cap, and a typical primary inductance, but i go for very high coupling (.2 to .25 if possible). You might note that my smallest coil runs at 350khz, i had to use rather over rated IGBTs for it to work properly. Its much easier if you are working <100khz. Dont be afraid to use very thin wire (i use 30awg on the 6 foot spark coil). I personally dont think high secondary Q is completely necessary for long sparks. With a DRSSTC, we keep driving the coil beyond breakout. By the time the toroid breaks out, the Q is indeed quite low.

And see my website if you havent:

<http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/>http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/

Steve