Re: 8 kHz Tesla Coil

Hi Gerry,

Sure, no problem, except the losses. Once again, Javatc says 6 awg is recommended. The resistance you identified is only the DC wire length for the wire size. I usually don't worry about being a couple wire sizes off (that is typical as Javatc is looking for 6 x Sd on closewound coils and we are all prone to using standard sizes like 18, 24, 28, etc..), but it's off by 20 wire sizes? well, that gets my attention. 26 awg is 0.0159" diameter. Sd is .029". Hence, the RF losses are far too high and would make for a very inefficient coil for any purpose (except maybe a garage heater for those cold winter months).

Maybe if it was just pulsed for brief periods, it would be useful. Low frequency coils are high loss coils, unless their big - there's just no way around it (unless we can cheat RF losses with a different material?).

On a side note, I could turn those sD numbers into actual AC ohm values. Maybe I should do that in a nexgen Javatc. It might help these underlying losses to standout.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi All,

I ran a 24x80 coil thru JAVATC and came up with these numbers:

Secondary 24x80 with 26awg and 4490 turns
Freq = 8.2 KHz Resistance = 1150 ohms
Wire = ~28200 feet and 22 lbs
Toroid 24x80 and about 94pf.
Gerry R.