Re: Stack of flat coils (was 8 kHz Tesla Coil)

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Steve,

On 21 Sep 2005, at 18:06, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Peter,
>
> If you search the archives, you will find that years ago Richard Hull
> built a magnifier coil that was only 12 inch long, had a gigantic
> toroid on it (actually under it - he ran it inverted), and produced 10
> foot streamers/leaders.  So the ratio for his coil is 10:1.  But if
> you add in the height of the secondary coil that drove the extra coil,
> the ratio may be less than 4:1 and you might well beat his
> achievement.  So, for magnifiers, does the height of the secondary
> "count" or not? --Steve Y.

That depends on whether the design is such that at some instant, all
energy ends up in the resonator and therefore impresses the full
output voltage across it. I have my doubts that a 12" high coil can
sustain 500kV+ regardless of how brilliant the field control is.

Malcolm