Re: skin depth in round conductors Re: 8 kHz Tesla Coil

Hi Jim,

Lets say that the skin depth is 10 mils as calculated from the flat plane formula. Are you saying the skin depth in a round conductor (at the same frequency) is smaller than the 10 mils??? If so, by how much approximately?? Also, does the current fall exponentially???

The main point in my original post is that because the conduction time is such a small portion of total time (50us*120bps or 6ms out of a second), the rms current is much smaller than one might think and the power loss is also small (~1watt as compared to 2KW feeding the coil) . So.... for 23 awg 22mils thick with a JAVATC calculated skin depth of 9mils (I dont know how javatc calculates it), what is your estimate of the effective resistance if the DC resistance is 61 ohms??? Fo=81KHz.

Gerry R.