Re: Off Line - DRSSTC (OL-DRSSTC) - 3

Hi Steve and Mike,

At 09:14 PM 9/27/2005, Steve wrote:
Terry,

Are you using real IGBTs in your model?

"Sort of" simulated ones....

If so, what do the gate rise/fall times look like?

I don't know... I sort of set that up at my whim in the model so it obeys my "best guess".... Maybe you have a better guess :-) The models is not using voltage limiting since "I" don't care...

and what is the gate voltage?

Depends on what size transorbs I have, but I am thinking around the 25 volt range. The 100:1 CTs take the primary current and feed it directly to the gates with a 25V transorb directly across it to limit the voltage. So the gate signal is +-25V at 1/100th the primary current driving it. If I have 500 primary amps, the gate drive signal is 5 amps. Sort of "cool" in that the drive current follows the primary current in an analog way too! Below 25V, the only load is the 5nF gate capacitance so the signal should "snap". I also have a 5nF cap across the gates to act as a capacitive load. The CT is 14mH:1.4uH. It seems to drive the gates like a rock. I have about 100 ohms shunting across then them too now to help get a little dead time...

Maybe you could send me your simulation files (if they are pspice)?

I hope it works for you. I messed with diode breakdowns and such but I set the model to use the included library file so it "might just work"... They are MicroSim 9.1 freeV.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/OL-DRSSTC-03.zip

It changes all the time and is now set to run at 120VAC at 15 amps... It is sort of a mess, but it is the model of the moment... I decided to go to 120VAC since that is far easier for the masses...

And keep in mind, dispite the 25J bangs, it likely wont create sparks as long as a SGTC with 25J bangs at 60bps. The energy delivery time is just too long, so the peak power is much lower.

I fixed that some in the above model... 14J/bang mostly in 500uS... One can really play around with that stuff a lot.... But right now, I am just trying to get "any sparks at all" and I will be happy :-))) The thing has no "brains"... It only has two diodes :o) All the timing is set by the component values... It is sort of easy once you get used to it... A way can probably be found to get back to 120BPS. But for now, getting it "to work at all" is the goal...

Steve