RE: Potential Transformer - What is it

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

Here is a question from a dummy, me. I have a transformer that is
13kv@150ma, the original use was from a laser power supply. I assume
that the 1.95 KVA rating on the tag is CCS. I plan to run it on an
autotransformer so I can get about 15KV out max. I was also thinking
about ballasting it for about 170ma max due to interment service with a
coil.
My question is what is the correct "name" for this type of transformer
so when I ask questions on the list I will use the proper terminology?
I have called it in the past a potential to differentiate from a current
controlled NST.

	Rich

Potential Transformer - What is it

It's used to run meters. The 14.4 kV is stepped in an exact ratio to indicate 120 VAC on a meter. The meter is calibrated in kV so the power company can check the line potential at a glance.

Dr. Resonance