Re: potential gain vs. power in TC systems

Original poster: Paul Nicholson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

DC wrote:

> I don't know for sure but think it might be related to the
> high peak currents involved in the larger units.  This could
> relate to "effective loading" capacitance and inductance
> values but I have not explored this factor in detail.

Sounds reasonable.  You might expect that a lower Z resonator
would be a better match between a pole pig and the large topload
of a high power system, compared with a NST/small topload combo.

> Having observed both Hull and Wysock's systems in operation
> I tend to believe the peak currents are higher --- the sparks
> are much brighter.

A 3-coil system should also have higher overtone content available
at the topload, compared with a 2-coil of the same size or power.
Perhaps this HF current contributes an extra heating effect.

Steve Conner wrote:

> Yes, when you consider the spark length vs. coil length for
> magnifiers (the "Watts Number") the only fair way to calculate
> it is to add the lengths of the secondary and extra coil
> together.

Probably true for most magnifiers.   But if the system is tuned
correctly for 'complete' energy transfer, the entire output voltage
will appear momentarily across the 3rd coil: peak topvolts is tuned
to occur at the same instant that the transmission line voltage is
momentarily zero.   That state of affairs is very unlikely to
happen except by very careful design and tuning, so Steve's comment
is fair.

--
Paul Nicholson