Re: FW: potential gain vs. power in TC systems

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/8/06 1:23:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi John,Et Al
I too am building a 12" coil. Do you think it would be pushing the ratio to
go 72" 6:1. 18AGW magnet wire. I was planning on going to .5" primary to get
more diameter but I'm not sure what this does to the comparative inductance.

Jim,

My guess is that it would be OK to go to 72".  I base this on my
old research coil which used a 4" x 23" secondary which worked well.
I used 28awg wire since it was a small coil.  Using the 18awg you'll
have about 1600 or 1700 turns I guess which seems good to me.
I think your plan would be a good test of such a design which is
not often seen (tall narrow secondary on a large coil).  I don't really
see any downside to your plan.  I think the streamer length is
mostly determined by the toroid size and the secondary height,
assuming you use adequate input power.

Is it true that a torrid is best designed at a 3:1 ratio thus 60" would seek
a 20" minor diameter? DC if you are reading this please share how you make
your chicken wire torrids!

I suspect that such "fat" toroids give longer sparks for a given
overall diameter.  I make my toroids close to this ratio.  Most
toroids seem to be a little flatter at 4:1 or so.  Such toroids may
give a larger number of thinner streamers, but I really haven't
done suitable comparisons.  I think Richard Hull's Nemesis toroid
was 14" x 60" and it performed well.  It would be interesting to
try the thicker 20" x 60" toroid

John

Regards,
Jim Mora