shipping things like NSTs RE: Anyone have a transformer I can buy

At 07:16 AM 4/8/2006, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Dave Halliday" <dh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Where are you located?

I am still testing a bunch of Neon Sign transformers that I got at
auction and have a number of used 12KV 30mA units.

Shipping will be a bit expensive as I am building a wood box for each
unit to protect the ceramic bushings.

Wood boxes are nice, but probably overkill..

The commercial units get shipped in cardboard boxes with sytrofoam type inserts. They put a short cardboard tube over the insulator to keep it from getting dinged.

Mostly, it's a matter of using enough rigid packing material around the transformer and a big enough box, so that if the box does get dropped/bashed/etc., the transformer survives. The packing material needs to be rigid enough to hold position too. No just dumping the NST into a big box of pellets.

The commercial shipping uses about 2-3" total space, but they get to use nice customized foam inserts.

Likewise, they ship lab test equipment (scopes, spectrum analyzers, etc.) using that expanding foam in a plastic bag, with 3-6" of space between equipment and box wall.

Wrapping it in many, many layers of bubble wrap "might" work, but you'd really have to jam it in.

There's also the old standby of double boxing. use something like bubble wrap around the NST and jam it tightly into the inside box, then put 3" of almost anything around that to put it into the outside box. Crumpled newspaper, foam pellets, etc., would all work.

I also ran into a bunch of Microwave Oven transformers from another deal
-- these will be around $30 each shipping in the USA included.