Multiple secondary coils

Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Several years ago I did some experements and posted the results here. Not sure if anyone remembers. I thought maybe I would post this again to refresh everyones memory.

I built 3 secondary coils exactly identical only difference was, #1 coil had 1 layer of #24 enamel coater copper wire 950 turns, #2 coil was identical but it has another coil would over the 1st coil both coils were connected in parallel. #3 coil was the same as the others 950 turns #24 wire, another 950 turns #24 wire wound over it, and another 950 turns #24 wire wound over it too. All 3 coils connected in parallel. Output from Coil #2 was much better than coil #1 it was noticably better output discharge sparks were much longrer nothing else in the circuit had been changed just the secondary coil. Output from Coil #3 was longer than coil #2 it was hard to see how much longer the sparks were without actually measuring the length of the sparks.

I built a tesla coil with 3 secondary coils in parallel. All 3 coils were wound on 4" PVC pipe with 950 turns of #24 wire. This tesla coil was compaired to an identical tesla coil with only 1 secondary coil. The TC with 1 secondary coil had a flat wound primary 20 turns of 1/4" copper tubing. Distance between the inside turn of the primary coil and the secondary was 2". The primary coil on the TC with 3 secondary coils had to be made larger in diameter the distance from the inside turn of the primary coil was 2" to the secondary just like the other TC. Input power was the same, cap was the same, spark gap was the same, top load was the same, output sparks were a little bit longer. Interesting thing was the TC with 3 primary coils connected in parallel produced output sparks just about equal to the TC with 1 secondary coil with 3 winds all would over each other and connected in parallel.

I wound 3 secondary coils on 4" PVC pipe all 3 coils were wound with #20 enamel coated copper wire 950 turns each coil. I also would another secondary coil on 10" PVC pipe #20 wire 950 turns. I built a primary coil for each system. I used the same cap, same spark gap, same top load. The output on the TC with 3 secondary coils in parallel was a little better than the coil with just 1 secondary coil. I am getting streamers 138" long on the 10" secondary coil and streamers 144" long on the 3 secondary coils in parallel.

It is not necessary to have a large PVC pipe to wind a large diameter secondary coil if you are building a large TC. You can accomplish the same thing by putting several smaller diameter secondary coils in parallel.

3 to 1 ratio diameter to length is the best. 3 to 1 is better than 4 to 1 and 4 to 1 is better than 5 to 1. I built 3 different TCs each secondary coil wound with #24 enamel coated copper wire 950 turns. Coil #1 was wound on 4" PVC. Coil #2 was wound on 6" PVC. Coil #3 was wound on 8" PVC. Everything in each TC circuit was the same, power supply, spark gap, caps, topload. Output sparks on the 6" coil were noticablly better than the 4" coil. Output on the 8" coil was better than the 6" coil but not a lot better.

If I can find all my notes I could include things like the exact length of each output spark, information about streamers, etc. Someone may have this info saved somewhere. That was 5 years ago maybe longer I am not sure where my notes are. This was way back in the days before the electronic cameras. Too bad I didn't take more pictures. All the pics I posted years ago were taken on my old Nikon. The photos were scanned.

Gary Weaver