Re: Antenna physical size & shape

Hi Ed,

Who knows if its quarter wave at 100Kz. I suppose it could be less with a matching network (or just not worry about the SWR). Inefficient compared to a "real" transmitter, yes. Most of the power would still go into sparks I suppose. The main point was it is possible to "not load the TC" with an antenna and still have the TC be tunable and ring up to full voltage. At least, one could get the radiation efficiency higher than with no antenna :-)) I think I saw the schematic in the context of what Tesla used for his sparkgap transmitter - but not sure.

Gerry R.

That would be an incredibly inefficient transmitter as most of the power would go to losses in the coil. An antenna "of the proper length" I assume means something approaching a quarter wavelength - pretty long at say 100 kHz!

Ed