Re: Hertz was: Re: Breakdown voltage at submillimeter distances?

Bob --- that's "Leyden" jar named after the Univ. of Leyden --- I think in Holland.

Dr. Resonance

To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:46 AM
Subject: Hertz was: Re: Breakdown voltage at submillimeter distances?

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ed,

Yes I am surprised that such a detector worked.

Apparently the effect was discovered when Lyden jars where discharged and it
was noticed that near by Lyden jars of similar size and with a similar spark
gap discharged even though they where not charged.  The pictures I have seen
show a Lyden jar with a circular shorting bar (the transmitter I assume) and
a loop of similar size (no Lyden jar) with a spark gap (the receiver).
Presumable such an arraignment did not have the same resonant frequency. It
must have taken Hertz a very long time to tune his transmitter and receivers
to the same frequency. Thinking about that statement. Its based on the
assumption that the loops would have high Q which is probaly not true
because of there radiation resistance. So perhaps his receivers only needed
to be with in a octave or so of the frequency of the transmitter.

Has any one seen Hertz's experiments repeated or tried to repeat them i.e.
with just a metal loop and a gap for the receiver.

Robert (R. A.) Jones
A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl
407 649 6400