Re: Big Insulator

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/16/06 12:48:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I'll probably heat the other
>end with a heat gun, which may avoid some of the
>noxious fumes generated.

    Just make sure it's an insulator, and not an arrestor.
I took apart a 3kV arrestor a coupla months ago out of curiosity. Among the inner workings was a .22 blank. Presumably at a certain voltage level the MOV core conducts, and at a certain current level the blank fires and blows the thing apart to open the circuit. I had previously tried to test the arrestor with an NST (before I was aware of its construction), but it didn't fire the blank.

-Phil LaBudde