Re: Ammeters and Voltmeters

Hi Ed,

What you say sounds like a problem. One would need to drop more voltage than 50mv to account for the diode drop (that I forgot about) like you say. I suppose one could put an opamp in the meter to boost the voltage taken from the sensing resister before rectifying to make the diode drop less significant. But the diode drop would still cause an offset error.

Gerry R.

With voltmeters that will work OK - ideally you should use a full-wave rectifier bridge of output voltage rating at least twice the voltmeter full scall reading (for safetly); you'll have to play with the "multiplying resistor" in series with the meter. In the case of the ammeter life gets a LOT more complicated. The typical full-scale voltage drop for an ammeter is 50 millivolts and, while you can use a rectifiier as above, but with suitable current reading, its voltage drop will be nearly 1.5 volts full scale so the power lost in the ammeter (and dissipated in the rectifier) could get pretty large. With ammeters there's usually an internal shunt between the terminals and a calibration resistor in series with the meter - the calibration resistor and meter are connected to the terminals of the shunt.
Ed