Re: Primary coil configuration

If you run a 4 inch dia. sec coilform use a 15 or 20 degree inverted cone primary. If running a 6 inch dia. sec coilform use a flat Archemedian (expanding) spiral. Overcoupling is a big problem for most beginning coil builders and it generates multiple headaches like racing sparks, etc. Keep it simple and it will work right the first time.

Use 1.3 to 1.5 x Cres for your MMC cap value and you will have a nice performer. The 6 inch dia. coil will give you better performance. V = -L x dI/dt. Inductance, L, is proportional to the square of the radius of the coil so bigger is better. Use #26 AWG for a 6 inch coilform and #28 AWG for a 4 inch coilform.

With a reasonably large toroid, ie, 20 x 5 or equiv. modern transmission line theory doesn't apply much to TC building.

Dr. Resonance

Hi All,
I'm in the process of designing my first coil. I'm a junior in EE and it just caught my intrest while I was researching HV transmission lines. I have a 15kV 60mA NST and I'm reading as much as I can about the rest of the design before I actually buy/build anything. My question is what is the difference between making the primary wind outward away from the secondary opposed to winding vertically keeping the windings all the same distance from the secondary. Also what does primary placement around the secondary effect. If I move the primary up to the middle of the secondary what will that effect?

~Farmer