Re: Primary coil configuration

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/20/06 5:42:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

And concerning the amount of power I will be applying to the coil, I can
either run it at reduced power, or.... couldn't I raise the height of my
toroids to reduce strikes to the primary, or will raising the toroids height
cause the upper winding to emit streamers?

Hal,

To prevent primary strikes,
it's true you can raise the toroids, especially if you use a
toroid just above the secondary coil, with a larger one above that.
But at some point as the power input is increased, the secondary
itself will not be able to withstand the voltage.  Usually sparks
that are 3 or 4 times the length of the secondary coil can be
obtained as a maximum for classic coils.  Much depends on
breakrate and other factors.  I didn't notice the details of your
coil so I'm just making general comments here.

John