From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 3:32 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Variational Methods

Original poster: Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui@xxxxxxxxx>

We dont need Green, Maxwell or Schwinger to solve this. We only need to
write our equations correctly and be - oh - so - carefull - in applying
the Lagrange. None of the steps are beyond the capability of someone who
has had linear and diff-eq

The setup gets messy, lots of places to drop the ball. So it is best to
have someone reality check your work as you go along.

Simple in the grand scheme of things but it would take me several days
of playing with examples in textbooks before I would feel confident
enough to begin hammering out equations.

Reminds me of the physics problems with multiple weights and pulleys.
God they are a pain. But they can be done by mere mortals with a lot of
patience.

My apology to Robert:

I used: La = T - V

Textbooks use: L = T - V

Didn't want to confuse inductance "L" with the Lagrange, which I labeled
"La" and yes.... T and V are energy.

Sincerely: Jared Dwarshuis