Re: Black ABS

The green SDR (sewer & drain) works very well as it's thin-walled for lightweight secondary and, well, . . . . . it's gr-e-e-n!! Megs out very well on our solid state megger. The black doesn't do very well --- might begin conduction at the right potential.

Someone also had a question on proper sec coil elevation for both 4 inch ID and 6 inch ID white PVC tubes when used as a sec coilform. Use dual interior baffles --- one 5 inch down from top and one 5 inch up from bottom. Silicone in place with GE Silicone II clear.

For 4 inch ID use 1.75" above horizontal plane of primary and for 6 inch use 2.25 inch elevation. Use a 2 x sec coilform dia toroid dia with a min. of 4:1 major dia to min. dia ratio on the toroid. You can also use up to 3x or 4 x if you plan on using a large pri cap and have a lot of driving power available, ie, 180-250 mA. 2 X works great with either 60, 90, 0r 120 mA driving power. With this coupling setup --- No racing sparks --- ever!!

Dr. Resonance

After burning a nice hole in my secondary I went to
home depot to find a piece of pipe for a replacement
form.

A came home with a hunk 4"x24" of black ABS.  I've
searched through the archives and have read mixed
opinions about black ABS.

Someone suggested that rubbing it on paper would be a
good test to see if it contains carbon.  What I have
is very hard and leaves no mark.

The other suggestion is to rub in im my hair to see if
it generates static.  I shave my head, so my shiney
head precludes me from running that test!

So what do you guys think?  Would this stuff be OK, or
should I pitch it and get a hunk of white PVC?

Are there any other tests I could run?

Thanks,

Curt.