Re: Powerstat Type 10B Repair Help

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/24/06 3:36:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Can I just whittle a new one from say a D-cell center
>carbon, or would that be too resistive? Any better suggestions before
>I go ahead and burn the house down?

I can't say anything about D-cell electrodes, but I had a similar problem with a 20A variac. I repaired my wiper by grinding a DC motor brush down to fit the holder, and soldering it in place. Yes, I know solder deosn't stick to carbon, but it worked well enough to secure it. Apparently the factory brush was plated on one side, and this is what the factory solder bonded to the holder. Functioned fine when tested. If you want to try this kind of repair and need a brush, bop on down to your local motor repair shop and buy a cheap little brush that they've had sitting around gathering dust. Most shops accumulate spare oddball brushes, and they can be pretty cheap - especially used ones. Or you can buy new ones from McMaster (small selection). Plus, a motor brush often has a wire braid pigtail you can bring out to the wiper to assure a good electrical connection. You can often get repair parts for variacs, but I think the replacement wiper for mine would have been something like $50!

-Phil LaBudde