Re: EPCOS HV Caps

Original poster: "Nele" <morfeus@xxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 20:27
Subject: Re: EPCOS HV Caps

> Original poster: "James Nixon" <james.nixon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 09:00:32 -0600
>   "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > Original poster: "Nele" <morfeus@xxxxxxxx>
>  >
>  > Hello All:
>  >
>  > Does enyone uses "EPCOS" polypropilene capacitors in
>  > Tesla coils? I have
>  > over 100 of them, but don`t know if anyone has any
>  > experience with this type
>  > of caps. Anyway, I will try them, but just wanted to know
>  > if they are of
>  > good or bad sort for this purpose... before they blow
>  > up...
>  >
>  > Regards,
>  > Nele
>  >
>  >

> You Should be fine with them provided you use 4 strings in
> parrallel and more in series than your max voltage. Mine
> blew up because i used 2 strings of 9 on a 12kv Nst and my
> spark gap was open more than 5 mm. Still waiting to aquire
> sum more.
>
> ill send sum pics of my coil to you if u would like.
>
> Regards James Nixon
>
> Sign up for Ananzi Mail - and you and a partner stand the chance to
> win a breakaway for two at the stunning boutique hotel, Riviera on
> Vaal Hotel & Country Club!
>
> http://www.swiftsms.co.za/swiftT/track.asp?e=*em*&cid=113&u=8&tid=1115

James,

Thank you for answering. I have just bought 130 of these. RAted at 47nf/2kV
each. I am planing 10 strings in paraller, each with 15 caps. It should be
enough. If they blow up, it is nothing but a bad cap. I am using 15kV/200mA
transformer with 0-260VAC/15A variac regulation.
Any picture would be helpful of course. Thanks!

Regards,
Nele