Re: El Cheapo Vacuum Pumps +

Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx I am using the compressor from an old refrigerator. It will pump a vacuum to about 28.5. These compressors are designed to run in oil so after ever use I let the intake line suck up a quart of 10wt motor oil and pump it back into the original container. It only takes a few minutes to suck a vacuum on a capacitor then back fill it with oil. There is plenty of lubercation inside the pump for it to run a few minutes without any problems. The same refrigertor compressor makes a good air compressor it will put up to about 300 psi. I once pumped up an old hot water heater tank when it reached about 280 psi it blew up like a small atomic blast. Good thing I used a whole roll of copper tubing to get the tank far away and a 250 ft roll of 14 3 copper wire.