Re: slide choke wire size?

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>

Hey Robert...

first off 100A at 120V? thats alot of power... I dont even pull that much on my BIGPIG system ( close but not that much) ... what kind of transformer are you using to pull that kind of power?

to handle that kind of current I would use a # 4 copper multistrand ( basically the smaller welding machine cable) absolute minimum I would use would be a #6 for 100A @ 120.... what kind of ideas do you have for your choke design.... I use a huge EI core with adjustable top (I) section and 3 #10 in parallel to keep the current to a manageable level ( basically 60A @ 240VAC input on a max run,... normally pull 40-50A @ 240 on the input side)
what size fuse/circuit breaker are you using on your supply V in ?
Im using a 70A 240V on mine and on occasion still trip it out when running full blast on the variac...

you have an interesting set up    Id like to hear more about it..

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Robert Amaya <dimon20042004@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to make a slide choke for my coil but i am not shure what gauge of wire to use. I will be using it to keep the power consumption down to around 100 amps at 120v. Any comments would be apreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Robert A. in Austin