Re: MMC Question.

Hi Dennis,

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: otmaskin5@xxxxxxx
A question related to Gary's points on setting spark gap size. If your gap is set so that it consistently fires with only the NST connected, by definition, that seems to be a relatively safe setting within the NST's ability to tolerate the voltage during TC operation - is that a reasonable assumption?

It is a safe setting and good one to maintain.

In my case, I have a 15/60 NST with an 8-segmented gap with a total gap size of 0.24". I'm thinking that's reasonably conservative.
Maybe too conservative since it readily fires at 0.24?

Not necessarily. Gap voltage at breakdown has lots and lots of variables. The gap width is depended on environment, material, geometry, spacing, etc.. Sure, your gap will arc just at increased widths (and gap voltage will increase), but that is the attraction that leads to NST deaths.

Take care,
Bart