Re: Racing Arcs Explained???

Hi Terry,

Looking at the snippet that Dest was refering to:

"I" don't quite understand racing arcs either.  I used to think it
was do to pure transformer action when the coupling is close.  A ten
turn primary at 20kV vs. say 400 turns in the lower 10 inches of a
coil form.  That might push 800kV into a 10 inch section.

I think this 800kV would be true if the coupling was 1.0 but maybe thats what you meant. However, for coupling of say 0.25 into the bottem 10 turns, the voltage would only be 200KV. Yes?? Now I will study the rest of your post :o)))

Gerry R.

Hi,

Just to follow up...  If we take the example Dest gave:

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2006/May/msg00381.html

and convert it to "inches stuff" with just minor length changes to get round numbers we get: