Re: Streamer Vs. Strike Distance Factor.

Original poster: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>

On Aug 15, 2006, at 11:18 PM, Tesla list wrote:

Hi All,

I was working on the newer version of ScanTesla today.  Adding
elevation and temperature to the streamer length stuff...   So us
folks in Colorado won't have a 20% streamer length advantage
anymore >:o))

I can't help wondering where this alleged streamer length advantage
comes from.  When I designed coils for Dream Park Corp (which later
morphed into "DiaboliCo" - they were selling them to Haunted Houses)
we routinely received calls from customers at low altitude
complaining that the streamer length was too long, and wanting to
know how to turn it down.  None of them read the owner's manuals,
apparently.  (required adjusting the spark gaps, as we did not
include variable transformers in any of our coils to keep costs down)

After many of these calls, I found that our customers at lower
altitude were routinely getting much _longer_ streamers than we were
in Boulder!  I assumed it was due to altitude, but never really had
the opportunity to test it out.  Anybody got access to a room sized
altitude chamber?  :D

 - Bill "Gomez" Lemieux

.