Re: Cylinder Static Spark Gap

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

I can't comment on how easy this was to build, since I
built it ten years or so ago, but here's how I did
mine:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/TCBOR_gap1.jpg

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/TCBOR_gap2.jpg

Cameron, note the fan is identical to the one you
recently posted in your series gap.

At the time, I was still learniing and wanted to have
two sets of gaps that I could run in parallel or
series. I also liked the brass bolts on every pipe,
allowing me to pick a wide range of gap spacing.

I used coppper fittings; not cut pipe. If I recall, I
simply drilled the holes one size larger than the
bolts. I then used a small dab of high temp epoxy and
snugged the nuts down. I did one at a time, making
sure the first was square. After that, it was simply a
matter of using a shim and gluing/snugging the nuts
into place. Since I had bolts and nuts in addition to
glue, I could proceed to the next one, without
worrying about disturbing the glue. The fan looks
identical to the one

However, the best performing static gap I built is
this one:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/shopvac_gap.jpg

Very simple to build, and adjust. I've run it with my
leaf blower, and my shop vac set to blow and suck. It
seems to work best as a sucker gap. I've run it as
high as 13 kVA before I melted the solder and had to
replace two pvc bushings. I've run it at 3 - 4 kVA (if
memory serves) with no problem whatsoever. 13 kVA was
for Halloween and I got carried away. I used it on
this:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/bigass_coil/coil09.jpg

It actually worked fine at lower power, but when I got
carried away, it just got too hot.

Adam