Re: bug zapper

Original poster: coolbluesky <coolbluesky@xxxxxxx>

Hi Mike,

It is possible to make a small Tesla coil from a salvaged bug zapper or two. Performance will not be too great - it's on par with a big flyback transformer. Take a look at a coil I built from zapper parts here:

http://users.isp.com/coolbluesky/tesla/photos/bugzapcoil.jpg

The transformers are usually around 2 kVAC @ ~ 8 - 12 mA. Make sure your transformer does not have the capacitor built-in. You can tell this from the look and sound of the discharge arc and if you find an external cap inside the zapper. I was also able to use the zappers external cap as well as the transformer in my coil - however the cap gets warm after a while, so I don't push it. Performance would be increased if I built an MMC style cap of the correct value, but the cap I used was free.

Happy scrounging,

Karl