From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 7:38 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Toroid made easy

Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I cut 2 pieces of .040" flat steel into a donut shape.  Donut is 20"
outside diameter with a 6" diameter hole.  Metal plates are welded
together along the outside and inside edge only.  A very small pipe
fitting is welded to the surface of 1 sheet of metal near the
center.  A 5 lb. bag of charcoal is ignited and given enough time to
turn the 2 metal plates red hot.  Air is slowly blown into the
fitting and the red hot metal is blown up like a balloon.  The flat
metal will blow up into a toroid shape it is sorta like blowing up a
car tire innertube.  Let it cool.  Grind the welds smooth and reweld
if needed to make it smooth.  You can also do the same thing to make
a sphere.   I did the same thing with two 20" circles no donut shape
this time it made a very nice sphere.   It only takes a few minutes
for the metal to turn red hot so the charcoal is basically
wasted.  It would be good to make about a dozen toroid and sphere
parts get them all welded together and heat them red hot one by one
it would not be so wasteful on charcoal.  I have not tried any really
large ones yet but I see no reason someone couldn't cut out some 48"
donuts shapes to make a large toroid.  When the metal blows up like a
balloon the outside diameter gets smaller.  You can get a 98%
accurate idea of the actual size by bending a sheet of paper into a
radius to see how large your finished balloon shape toroid will be.

Gary Weaver