ballasting not revisited, Saturable, controllable cores

Hello All,

I tried to cross post to Steven Roys on HV but no luck. Hopefully heâ??s bending glass and passing gas! Wow, heâ??s a renaissance man. I have been reading his articles on air conditioning conversions on a separate Google.

Ok Iâ??m good with a PC and a calculator and wish I had such when I was using a slide rule! Someone help with the math? it seems to get hairy with cores and such! There has been talk of making a saturable reactors out of three phase transformers (on the primary side). The two outer coils control the saturation, center coil is inductance to the pig. First question: do the outer cores have to be reverse wound or can they be reverse polarity DC? Would a 15KVA tranny be too big for say a 10KVA 14.4? If not, what kind of DC power are we talking about to control this on both legs from 20amps to full tilt? DCâ??s 120 ma would be far exceeded so rewinding the thing seems likely. Anyone want to explore this? Take it easy on the core geometries â?º

Still working on my 3 phase monster... 3 2950 Superiors in a stack for voltage control. A 20KW 3 phase generator driven by an Isuzu diesel (not a factory unit!). Probably smoke my DC/asrg first light. I'll be standing back...

Jim Mora
Long Streamers