From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 5:17 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Toroid size on Big Coils

Mike:

If you use a 36 inch dia. toroid on a coil similar to my M-150
design, which has 18 inch dia. sec coil, there will not be any toroid
to coil strikes.

I didn't have in stock a large enough toroid for the M-200 design
that you saw get damaged.  We normally use a 60 inch x 20 inch toroid
size on this coil and during the Cheesehead event we only used a 48 x
12 inch toroid which didn't offer enough electrostatic shielding for
the sec coil.

Good rule of thumb is to use 3-4 x dia. of sec coil for major toroid
dia. and then you will not have any problems.  A 3:1 major to minor
toroid dia. also gives the correct ratio for this toroid design ---
either spun or mesh toroid --- makes no difference to the sparks.

Email off-list and I can share a unique design for a chicken wire
toroid like we had on the Big Bruiser that can be constructed for
under $125 in sizes up to 6 ft. in dia.  Big Bruiser uses a 10 ft dia
x 24 inch cross section for it's toroid.

Dr. Resonance

Subject: Toroid size on Big Coils