RE: Saturable Reactor Ballast for TC from MOT's, or heavier 3 phase Transformers.

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Let us know how it goes!  It may be totally acceptable
to use the center winding for the control rather than
the outer windings, however I suspected it might be
easier to saturate by controlling the outer two
windings.  This is because, in a typical three-phase
core, each of the legs has the same cross-sectional
area.  Could you then saturate the outer legs by
controlling only the middle leg?  Without the power
winding in play, probably not.  But with a lot of
current in the power winding, probably so.  I don't
have the experience to say.  In the commercial SR's
that I've seen, the center leg of the core appears to
have double the cross-sectional area of each of the
outer legs, suggesting that saturation of the outer
legs is possible with only the center winding in play
(and in fact, all the commercial SR's I've seen use
the middle winding for the control).

I saw a beautiful little 3kVA 4160V-240V three-phase
dry-type transformer go by on eBay last week.  Seemed
like just the thing, but the guy wanted like $400 for
it!  Nuts!!

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE

=== message truncated ===