Re: Saturable Reactor Ballast - further testing 1 and SAFETY note

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Carl, can you comment on the heating of the MOTs under
load?  What kind of throughput is reasonable to expect
without a lot of fancy cooling?  I (and I suspect many
others) would love to see a big Jacob's ladder running
with this thing as a ballast!!! :)

Regarding the 240V approach, see the "Eight-MOT
reactor for 240V" at the bottom of the following image
(may need to zoom it; it's big!)

http://www.silicon-arcana.com/MMSR.gif

If you notice, I called out the Neutral connection
even though it plays no role in the reactor itself.
Still, if you connect Neutral to the center lug of
your pig's LV, ballasting the pig can be thought of as
ballasting two separate transformers, one on Hot 1,
another on Hot 2.  The MOT config on each of these is
***absolutely identical*** to the four-MOT ballast
you're talking about.  The only difference is that the
control windings of each four-MOT pieces are in
series.  So you see, there is actually *nothing*
floating on the power side of things, which IMO, makes
it vastly preferrable to putting MOT primaries in
series.

But, there may be 240V transformers in use in the TC
community that do not have a Neutral connection, in
which case you're probably stuck with the series
primary arrangement.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE