Re: First Light - And Then Darkness...

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 1/3/06 6:16:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Can someone explain the corona suppression rings I've
seen on some coils?  Is it a closed or open loop, and
how is it connected?  Seems like that might have
helped...

The spark gap may be too wide to fire.  Cleaning the gaps,
and adjusting them a little narrower may let them fire again.
Also the NST may have shorted out partially due to carbon
tracking in the tar.

The corona ring on top of a coil prevents sparks from
emitting from the top turn.  It should be a closed loop and
won't steal noticeable energy from the coil and won't heat up.

I often use a smaller toroid right over the top of the secondary
such as in my TT-42 coil.  THe corona ring or small toroid is
electrically connected to the secondary coil and to the main toroid.

John