Re: Bleeder Resistors

Hi Dennis,

Original poster: otmaskin5@xxxxxxx
1. I have two wire wound power resistors (50W, 1KOhms) not being used. Would one or both of these make a suitable bleeder resistor for my .03uF 35,000v Maxwell cap?

NO. 1Kohm is way too low of resistance. People usually use a 10Mohm 1/2 watt resister per 2KV cap on MMCs. For a Maxwell, I would probably use at least 14 of these 10 Mohm resisters in series depending on what voltage you operate at.

2. I'm hearing, even with bleeder resistors, hot sticking to discharge the cap is still adviseable. I have been holding a stiff wire (taped to a length of PVC) accross the Maxwell's 2 terminals for 5 or 6 seconds. Is that sufficient discharge procedure?

NO. A wire short across a capacitor can be dangerous and also damage the capacitor. The discharge needs to be thru a resistor of proper value, voltage rating, and power rating, Care to avoid contact with the HV during discharge also is a must.

Gerry R