From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Bleeder Resistors
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 20:39:11 -0700

Original poster: otmaskin5@xxxxxxx

My wife said don't worry, I don't need bleeder resistors. But having read all your advice on this topic, now I'm a little suspicious of her motives.
Thanks for your help.  I do have a couple of other questions...

1.  I have two wire wound power resistors (50W, 1KOhms) not being used.
Would one or both of these make a suitable bleeder resistor for my .03uF 35,000v Maxwell cap?

2. I'm hearing, even with bleeder resistors, hot sticking to discharge the cap is still adviseable. I have been holding a stiff wire (taped to a length of PVC) accross the Maxwell's 2 terminals for 5 or 6 seconds. Is that sufficient discharge procedure?

3. One of the responses also recommended "locking it out." Can someone explain what this means?

4. I also have PFC caps on my coil. I assume these also need to be discharged? Same procedure as with tank caps, right? Would you use bleeder resistors on PFC (motor run) caps?

Thx, Dennis Hopkinton, MA