Re: HV xray cable revisited

Hi Bart and Mike,

Thinking out loud here. If the arcing is between the center conductor and the black outer shield, then there is a problem that needs to be fixed. If the arcing is between the outer shield (ungrounded) and a grounded object, I would think this would be expected due to the capacitance between the inner conductor and the outer shield. The outer shield has no way to get rid of induced charge and would certainly arc to something grounded. If the outer shield was grounded, I would think this discharge would cease.

Gerry R.

Hi Mike,

As I understand it, the coating arcs not at the ends, but when the black coating comes in contact to a grounded object (or the ground itself). I suspect the cable is not sufficient for AC applications at the voltage your running. Check around and you'll see DC ratings on high voltage cable. AC and pulsed DC specs are much lower, so I wonder if the cable is not sufficient for the application. But, we can only make our best guess. As the cable is in your hands, possibly you could find out it's DC and AC ratings.

Take care,
Bart