adjustable inductors

Looking for ideas on adjustable inductors for a primary.. The idea being that you have a turn or two tightly coupled to the secondary, and the rest of the primary L is in an adjustable L.

There's rafts of roller inductors around with suitable values, but I don't know that they'll handle the voltage, and the losses might be too high.

So, here's some ideas as grist for speculation:

1) Two nested coils, one on a positioner. As you slide one in or out, the mutual coupling changes, changing the overall L of the pair. A modified version has 3 coils, one moving, and two wound with opposite sense. The two are stacked end to end, so the position of the moving coil determines the effective L. (think LVDT)

2) A coil within a coil, with the moving coil rotating (a goniometer).

Both of these require brushes or flexible leads, I think

3) A coil with a permeable core that is moved in and out.