Re: multiple breakouts

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 1/11/06 8:41:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi All,

When I add a breakout point to my topload, I do get a fatter and longer
streamer from the point, but I also have many other streamers coming
off of the toroid. (I'd like to see one major streamer that is long and fat :)

Justin,

Yes, the toroid size should be matched to the coil's power in a sense.
The type of match will determine how many streamers are produced.
But as you mentioned, any crinkles or bumps may cause additional
streamers also.  For this reason a smooth spun aluminum toroid
generally gives fewer and longer streamers than a corregated
toroid for a given toroid size.

Consider for example my TT-42 coil.  This coil processes about
700 watts and gives 42" sparks from a 12/30 NST.  (Yes, NST's
can draw more than their rated input wattage.)  I use a 4" x 13"
spun toroid.  This produces mostly two simultaneous streamers.
The streamers surge from side to side often with one growing
as the other shrinks.  The streamers glide around the toroid
surface in random and other ways.  When in the past I used
a corregated toroid, I needed to use a larger 5" x 20" toroid
to obtain similar performance, but of course the sparks cannot
glide over the toroid when using a corregated toroid.  So the sparks
are not exactly comparable using the two toroid types.

There are various subtleties to toroid sizing depending on
breakrate, power input, desired spark appearance, etc.

  http://hometown.aol.com/futuret.page3.html

Cheers,
John