RE: vv Critical rise time,

Original poster: "Leigh Copp" <Leigh.Copp@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Bob,

Excellent analogies by the way.

What I was suggesting was that the impulse of the Tesla coil is being
modulated by the break rate of our gap, or switch. Essentially I was
treating the resonance of the TC as a continuous wave, and ignoring the
discharge pattern for the purposes of examining the "modulation" of the
relatively high fo of the TC by the much lower break rate.

This is not a valid assumption of course, since if the TC is serving its
purpose it will be discontinuous (or as you stated, will have finite
duration) all on it's own, not counting the pulses on the primary side,
since we are regularly discharging from the top load.

Thinking about this a bit more, our break rate is synchronous with our
discharge rate, so you are right in that modulation was not the best
choice of terminology.

I was not proposing to modulate a waveform necessarily. The original
question was regarding the definition of, and contributing factors to
rise time, and my point was merely that any non-sinusoidal wave form's
rise time is determined by higher order harmonic content, and that
modulation of any kind would be a contributing factor to this higher
order content.

Deliberately modulating the input the affect the ring up? That's an
interesting idea. I am thinking that the frequency at which we can
modulate our power devices however, is much too low relative to fo to
achieve much wave shaping.

Leigh