Re: Cold Cathode Transformer

Just use a variac ahead of the xmfr with a 20 amp breaker. Set the sparkgap close and bring the power up while monitoring the current. Some of them, as bombarders were not current limited, but it sounds as if yours is current limited.

Dr. Resonance

I have the good fortune of recently purchasing a
15000V, 120mA "Cold Cathode" transformer made my
Transco.

The gentleman that I bought it from told me that Cold
Cathode transformes are not current limited.  I've
searched the list archives and have found a message
that states they *are* current limited.

So, here's the question, how can I tell if it is
current limited without damaging it?  Is there any
danger in drawing an arc and monitoring the current?

Thanks,

Curt.