Re: purpose of a variac?

Hi Q,

An rsg is (normally) adjusted for minimal electrode spacing. It "will" fire at reduced voltages. I haven't read the documents your referring to, but I can only assume their thinking rsg (if static gap, then I would agree). Rsg's will fire at reduced voltages. As the voltage is turned up by the variac, the electrodes will arc sooner (before alignment).

An rsg is a voltage variable device. A static gap is fixed and can never increase it's voltage level unless there is a mechanical failure or simply misadjusted (but of course it can certainly decrease it's voltage level, i.e., thermal variation).

As far as "absolute voltage peak", consider the current waveform (bps dependent). The maximum power point is not at peak voltage. The current and voltage crossing can be looked at for various break rates (thinking rsg here, btw). It's been a while since I looked at this, but if memory serves, 240 bps develops it's maximum power point at 22.5 degrees after peak. I believe most coilers running rsg's have found they need to adjust their firing a little after peak. Where it's adjusted for best operation is dependent on the actual breakrate, so there is slight variation between coilers.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Qndre Qndre" <qndre_encrypt@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey coilers,

I've read several documents on the internet which claim that the power throughput of a TC can be adjusted using a variable transformer to power the supply transformer of the coil. I don't see how this could be done under regular circumstances. If the input voltage of the supply transformer is reduced, it's output voltage reduces as well. The voltage across the capacitors can never exceed the supply voltage (unless you use resonant charging which may destroy the secondary winding of your supply transformer). Since the spark gap in the tank circuit is best to be tuned just to fire at the absolute voltage peak for optimized performance it will never fire with reduced input voltage to the primary circuit.

Regards, Q.