Re: purpose of a variac?

Hi Gerry,

Ok, I can see that. With my rotating stationary drive, I was able to adjust pretty much anywhere along the half cycle in real time. I always adjusted for consistency as opposed to highest voltage (and never for longest sparks, just a nice steady running coil). I remember when I first started playing with the setup that I was rather amazed at the how far I could move the stationary's with consistent firing before noticeable drop out was occurring. Kind of hard to say in degrees how far that was. About 40 degrees I guess between erratic to erratic. Eh, that's an old memory guestimate. I'm not really to sure, but I do remember it's one of those things that caught me by surprise.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Bart,

I have, but then again, I operate right at the edge of dropout (too far after peak). I determined this point not by the "longest sparks" but by using a scope and going for the highest firing voltage. If timing is delayed anymore from this point, the SRSG stops firing and ferroresonce occurs. This point of operation is very sensitive to the variac output since it doesn't take much shifting in the charging waveform to "dropout" when this close to the edge.

Gerry R

Possibly Gerry. The closer the alignment, the more phasing will be affected with voltage. I personally haven't found it as a needed adjustment between say 50% and 100%, but then, there are are a lot of variations of rsg's (disk size, electrode size, # of electrodes, speed, voltage, etc..). Some may find more of a phasing variation than others.

Take care,
Bart