Re: cornell or cornel? : )))

Hi Dmitry,

I guess I agree with Terry. The problem seems to be with the outer tape only that really serves no function other than a label. The real question, I thinking, is what caused the tape to come loose since I too have never seen a CDE cap that way. My CDE caps look as good as your Russian caps do. If the shipment really did get subjected to -40 C, this might be a concern since many comercial components have a -55 to 150 C storage temp rating. The CDE data sheet seems to indicate a -55 to 105 C operating temp range so you are probably OK. You might take one of the worst looking caps and peel off the outer tape and see if this is the only thing that looks questionable. If you got them directly from CDE, you might email them with a picture and get their opinion. Are they all that way or just a small fraction of them???

Good luck,
Gerry R"

I have a large stock of CDE mylar bypass capacitors purchased in the 1960's and used for wave filters. (The Q is plenty good enough at frequencies of a few kHz.) They have paper stickers indicating the value and a lot of those have come loose over the years. I usually mark the value on them with a fine-point "Sharpie" pen "just in case". They're sorted by value and when I need to make a filter I select the parallel combination which gives me the odd values I usually need.

Ed