Re: Toroid cores for GDTs

Original poster: Skip Malley <skip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I fully agree with a couple of the replies to this thread that the leakage inductance of the standard E core Gate Drive Transformers is too much. That is why I don't use them in the switching power supplies that I design. Apparently, some people are not aware of the toroid GDTs that are available You can purchase toroid wound GDTs. A couple companies make these. They have much lower leakage inductance. I have some leftover from a power supply project. Click on this link http://www.lse.com.tw/upfiles/spec01125457782.pdf to see the specs. These have 1/10 of the leakage inductance of the normal EE core transformers. What kind of leakage inductance has anyone else had when winding your own?

I have some of the ones listed in the listed link above. If someone would be interested in trying one, I would love to let you borrow one.

Happy coiling,
Skip