Re: cornell or cornel? New info from Cornell-Dubilier

Original poster: "Scott Hanson" <huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

CD cap users -

I just received my order of 942-series caps from Cornell-Dubilier, and then I spent some time on the phone with C-D discussing several topics.

First, I must agree with Dmitry that his caps look quite a bit more crudely finished than any other 942 series caps I have seen. My caps (RoHS compliant) show only the slightly sunken or wrinkled area around the center of the capacitor body that indicates where the gap is between the ends of the foil plates; the taping, epoxy end-fill, printing, lead-centering, etc. are perfect.

According to the C-D label on the box, my caps were produced in Taiwan, and all but two have the date code (last two characters printed on each cap) of "CC", which represents June of 2005. The two other caps had a date code of "JB", which represents January of 2004. Dmitry's caps show a date code of "CA", which represents June of 2003. C-D's rather strange date coding scheme for these film caps consists of two alpha characters, representing Month and Year of production. The month code starts with A for April, B for May, etc. ending with L for March. The year code starts with A for 2003, B for 2004, etc. .Not all 942 series capacitors you may find will be date coded; I have some 2.5uF, 600V caps that lack the two-character date code. These may have been produced prior to the start of date-coding 2003.

Curiously, the labeling on the factory box uses a different date code format: YYWW, with the first two characters representing the year, and the second two characters representing the work week: 0525 = year 2005, work week 25 (first week of July). Possibly this dbox ate code represents the week the capacitors were packaged.

Apparently C-D has factories in Liberty, South Carolina and New Bedford, Massachusetts (USA); Mexicali (Mexico); Shenzhen (China) and somewhere in Taiwan. The capacitors themselves are not marked to indicate where they were produced; this information is only on the original factory packaging.

Dmitry, did your package contain any labeling showing where the capacitors were produced? My box had two labels, the label on the box end said "Made in Taiwan", and the label on the box top said "COO: Taiwan" (COO = Country of Origin). If they were not in the original factory packaging, there is probably no way to determine exactly where they were made.

Attached are some photos showing the capacitor date coding and the box labeling; perhaps Terry will add them to the Temp directory at Hot Streamer.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/ScottH/942DateCodes.jpg

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/ScottH/C-DBoxLabelEnd.jpg

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/ScottH/C-DBoxLabelTop.jpg

Regards,