Re: Multiple Toroids (was: 48KWATT DRSSTC Warmup)

Hi Curt,

I run all sorts of different configurations, mostly just for fun. I try to meet three main functions. The first is to attain a given capacitance for the resonator, and the second is to shield the top secondary windings to prevent breakout from the top winding, and the third is field control (where the sparks are going).

Breakout from the double-stack toroids are interesting. For example, a couple weeks ago I ran my small 4.5" with a double-stack consisting of a 4.5" x 15" and a 4.5" x 19.5" toroids (15" on bottom). Both have the same minor diameter and you might at first expect the smaller to be the main breakout terminal. Well, with low voltage it was. But as I increased voltage, the larger top terminal becomes the main breakrate terminal (I should note that by increased voltage the breakrate is increasing as I was using a static gap). Just one of those interesting physics things.

As far as advantage, I'm not convinced there are any. I think double stacks are more often used because of the terminal sizes on hand (or this is what you built, so you use it). If you have a properly sized toroid for the coil, one will do excellent for long sparks (properly sized is easier said than done). As a matter of fact, I'd even say that a single toroid cannot be beat with an equivalent double-stack. BTW, a double-stack toroid is not the same as a single toroid using a corona ring. Even for a single toroid, it is often advantageous to use a corona ring to prevent secondary breakout as well as unwanted corona. But, there's no denying that running a double-stack is often fun business and certainly worthy when all you have on hand is "this size, and that size.".

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>

Speaking of toroids and top loads, what is the
advantage of using two toroids, larger one on top with
the smaller below?  I see this configuration on may
coils and don't understand the reason.

Curt.